Friday, April 24, 2015

Pecan Pesto Pasta

I love, love, love pasta! But I don't love the "food coma" feeling afterwards. So when I found this great substitution at Trader Joe's, I couldn't believe my eyes! A pasta that is detox approved? Yes!!! I actually can't taste the difference between this and "regular" pasta.  I made the creamy version of the pesto. For regular pesto, skip the avocado. You can also experiment with different kinds of nuts. The traditional pesto is made with pine nuts, I had lots of pecans and it was perfect for a tongue twister title. But I'm sure that cashews or walnuts would be great, too. So go ahead and play around with the recipe. Go nuts. Pun totally intended. 



Ingredientes:

1/2 bag of brown rice quinoa pasta
1 Tbsp of chopped garlic
1/2 pecans (or any other nut or combination of nuts)
6 cubes of frozen basil (fresh is better, just not sure of the amount)
1/3 cup of olive oil
1/2 avocado
S&P al gusto


 Paso a paso:

 1) Cook pasta according to instructions on bag. Do not overcook as it will become a mushy mess.

2)  While pasta is cooking, blend the garlic, the pecans, the basil the avocado and the olive oil until smooth.


 3) Add S&P to pesto, and if needed add a little more olive oil. Check on the noodles, they should be done by now.

 4) Strain the noodles very well and mix in the pesto.


5) Serve and eat immediately.


Remember that a pasta serving should only be 1/8 of your plate. We had it with a small steak, lots of mushrooms, and... you guessed it, an arugula salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment