Friday, April 3, 2015

Ají de Quinoa

I put a lot of thought into what my first recipe was going to be. To honor my Peruvian roots, I decided to make a classic, Ají de gallina. The original recipe is made with day old bread, milk and cheese. All no-no's in this detox. It also has a very special ingredient. Ají amarillo.



Let's just say that if I could only have three items to bring with me to a deserted island, this would be one of them. You can find this at your local latino market, in many different brands.

I figured that by adding quinoa (another peruvian import) instead of the bread, the dish could be very similar in texture and taste. Well, it worked! I haven't cooked this dish in a while because of the ingredient list, but I am SO glad I did! Dinner was ready pretty quickly once I had the chicken breast shredded and the quinoa cooked.

Ingredientes (Serves 4)

2 tbsp of olive oil
Half a medium yellow onion (finely chopped or pureed)
1 tbsp of garlic (or al gusto)
2 tsp of ají amarillo (or al gusto for more spice)
Salt and pepper (S&P)
2 cups of cooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
2 tbsp of cashew butter (for creaminess)
Two chicken breasts (boiled and shredded)
4 boiled eggs for garnish

Paso a paso:

1) In a medium/large pan, heat up the olive oil and cook the onion, garlic, aji in medium heat. Add S&P.



2) Add the cooked quinoa and chicken broth. Cook for 5 mins, until a thicker "sauce" is made.

3) Mix in the cashew butter until completely. Take off heat.

4) Add the shredded chicken, and mix it around evenly.



5) Serve with brown rice (optional) and garnish with egg.


6) Enjoy! 



¡Hasta la próxima!

Carmen

3 comments:

  1. Perfect for your first blog entry! You know we love this dish, and I have ahi in the pantry (gracias!!) Congrats and love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely a family favorite! =)

    ReplyDelete